Wednesday 27 April 2011

The rest of Buenos Aires

Before I move on to telling you about Paraguay, there are a few other bits and pieces that I need to mention from Buenos Aires.

On Friday I went with Jeroen (from Holland) and Isabella (from Brazil) to Recoleta cemetary and market. A walk around the cemetary was strange. The ornate tombs, many with coffins on clear view; old crumbling tombs, next to shiny modern ones; and the crowd arouns Evita's tomb. However, the most bizarre thing was the accent of the woman who sold us our maps of the cemetery. This woman had the most British accent I have ever heard - more English than any English person I've ever spoken to. We tried to keep her chatting, just for the novelty or hearing her!







With a Brazilian and a Dutchman, the conversation could have been interesting. Fortunately they both spoke Spanish, and Jeroen spoke English, so was able to act as translator. I have been picking up odd bits of Spanish, but will hopefully learn more now that I am in Paraguay. Isabella told me how in Brazil, Elizabeth is pronounced Elizabetch, and she should therefore call me 'Betch'. I explained that this sounded a little bit too much like 'bitch' and, much to Isabella's horror, Jeroen translated what this meant!




After heading to Retiro to buy my bus ticket on Saturday morning, Nanna (from Denmark) and I headed for a mooch about Palermo. Here you could be in any city in Europe with the funky shops, and sidewalk cafes... a lovely way to spend a sunny Saturday.






I forgot to mention in my last update, that in La Boca, following the visit to Caminito, we headed around the corner to Fundacion PROA to see and exhibition by Louise Bourgeois. Rather than trying to explain what it was about, you can click on the link if you are interested. This highly modern gallery was a stark contrast to the surrounding Barrio.






After a final lunch in Plaza Dorrego (a steak sandwich of course) I headed to Retiro to catch my bus to Paraguay.... more on that another day....



No comments:

Post a Comment