Tuesday 19 April 2011

It's not the place, it's the getting there that counts!

They say travelling is all about the journey, and what a journey I had...


When I boarded the plane, to my delight, I saw that my seat was next to a mother and her young child...and his very noisy video game! The game was soon switched off and mother and child stretched out to go to sleep. All well and good, except that the child was slightly too long for the two seats he lay across and it seemed that every time I dropped off to sleep he decided to stretch out his legs and kick me. In spite of this I did manage to doze through most of the flight (a good thing as the TV's weren't working), although I was taunted the whole time by two empty seats a couple of rows in front of me which I was not allowed to move into as they were chargeable 'comfort' seats!

After my fitful sleep I was very much looking forward to a cup of tea with my aeroplane breakfast....only to find my only options were green tea or camomile... anyone who knows me will understand that this wouldn't be a sufficient substitute at the best of times!

Rio de Janeiro airport is barely worth mentioning except I did manage to buy a cup of Earl Grey tea...which tasted of soap. Oh well.

The flight to BA was much more pleasant - aided by the fact the films were working and I was sat in a row with a selection of young, bearded, Argentinian men!

Having managed to cut my toe open on the airport trolley, and find my bus into the city, I arrived at Hostel Ostinatto. The hostel is in a beautiful old building, with fabulous high ceilings and french doors opening onto balconies for each room. I'm in a room with 5 other girls who all seem really nice. I'm up on the third floor, which I reached via a tiny 20's style lift

After a (cold) shower and a quick change, I had a walk around the block before meeting up with Louisa (Alice's sister) who was going to look after my case full of resources that I've brought with me for volunteering in Paraguay. Louisa and I walked the few blocks to her apartment, my case bouncing along the cobbles and uneven pavements. I am struck by how quiet the streets seem here. They are busy enough, but I think I was expecting something more like Vietnam where you risk your life everytime you cross the road! I had brought Louisa some of the English foods she had been craving and was rewarded with (a much longed for) cup of tea. PG Tips no less!

Louisa kindly took me on a walking tour of San Telmo, which I hope to replicate today now that I'm a little bit more awake, and then we went for dinner at a place just up the road from my hostel....I had steak and a glass (or two) of Malbec. Then, very untypically for Buenos Aires, I went to bed at 10.30. Welcome to Argentina!


1 comment:

  1. Good to read about your first day in BA. I sort of thought of you on the flight over the Atlantic, but only while I was sleeping and dozing throught the night in my comfy bed. Glad it wasn't too bad though! And I thought you liked children.
    M

    ReplyDelete