Monday 25 April 2011

What a difference a hostel makes...

Beautiful as Hostel Ostinatto was, it wasn´t massively friendly. The girls in my room were nice (although the friendliest one left the day after I arrived) but the atmosphere in general wasn't particularly welcoming. Not ideal when you're travelling alone. I had booked in for three nights, so made the best of it, but on Thursday I moved out and into Portal del Sur. Recommended as the best hostel in the city in the Argentina Lonely Planet, it's not even listed in the South America one. I probably should write to complain!






Anyway, within minutes of arriving I was chatting to various people, and being invited along to various things. Everyone was chatty and friendly and I felt much happier. This is what travelling is about. I think it helps that there are more lone travellers here, and also a slightly older crowd. I was slightly disappointed when I entered my room as it was very cramped. However, I have been the only one in there for my 4 night stay, so I've essentially had a private room.

That day I went out to see the march of the Mothers of the Missing with some people from the hostel then, after a stroll to Puerto Madero, we all went to change money (at the last minute before the bank holiday) and for tea and cakes - very English, even though I was the only English person! That night about 12 of us went out for dinner at Cafe Tenos (Tango Grill) for parilla (grilled meat). I had my second Argentinian steak and, even though it was well done, rather than medium as I had asked, it was still delicious. Of course, it was washed down with some Malbec from Mendoza.




There is much more to tell about Buenos Aires, particularly about the tango, but that will have to wait for another day as I want to go out and enjoy my final day in the city, not spend it sat at a computer!

Oh, sorry there are still no photos, I did start trying to upload some but it was painfully slow. I will try again in Paraguay - I'm headed there tonight on an 18 hour bus journey!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time Bethy!! You are so brave!! Try and get some pics up soon!! Lots of love Fi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Button , just reading your blog enjoying a glass or two! Sounds like you are having an amazing time there, I can't wait to hear all about the tango classes. Did you get your own shoes made?
    Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your adventure. See I told you it was hard to log onto the blog.Big loves and kisses from us xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont understand why a) you havnt used the word giant turtle.
    b) you havn t met or tried to meet aforementioned giant turtle
    3) faked an encounter with a giant turtle!!!!
    How do you think Oprah broke into the journo biz!!! You really need my help!!!

    ReplyDelete