Monday 13 June 2011

Jesuit Ruins

Before leaving Paraguay, we had to see one of the main tourist attractions in the country - the Jesuit Ruins. Most people I've spoken to who have visited the ruins have complained that they aren't set up at all for tourists, but this only made them more appealing to me. Only a short bus ride from Encarnacion, we hopped off the bus outside the road to Trinidad.

As we were late leaving in the morning (held up by me!), I hadn't had time for a cup of tea and I knew I needed some caffiene in my system. Unfortunately I couldn't get any hot water from the shop on the walk to the ruins (I carry emergency tea bags) so had to suffice with a bottle of coke. Not quite the same thing!

The ruins, when we arrived, were deserted and spectacular. The bonus of being in a country off of the tourist trail is the distinct lack of other tourists. At one point, I did see a group of children on a school trip, but the ruins were big enough to avoid them. Apart from the four of us, and the school group, there were only four other people there. We all walked around by ourselves for a bit, soaking up the atmosphere. When we reunited we had lots of fun working out the timer functions on our cameras, before sprinting into place for the photo.











At the entrance to the ruins we saw a sign pointing to Ita Cayon. Although we weren't quite sure what this was, the pictures looked pretty interesting, so we decided to head to that rather than the other ruins which, we'd been told, we're pretty similar to Trinidad. We eventually found the Cayon and were taken on a guided tour to discover that this was actually the quarry for the missions. So, even though there was no information at the actual ruins, we managed to find out rather a lot of information from our tour guide...if Beaux and Becky were interpreting correctly that is.





On our walk back to the main road  we managed to find a little shop that was willing to provide me with a cup of hot water, and I was able to have my much-needed cup of tea! After a long wait for the bus back, we got on to find it absolutely packed. Beaux and I ended up sat on the front bit next to the driver who then proceeded to declare his love for Beaux most of the way back to Encarnacion.




From Encarnacion we crossed the border, and the bridge, to Argentina, and managed to hop on a (rather comfy) bus to Puerto Iguazu...

No comments:

Post a Comment